Good Afternoon Families,
Glenknoll Elementary will be open with a normal school and childcare schedule on Tuesday, February 5, 2019. A team of Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District (PYLUSD) facility representatives have already performed an extensive walk of our campus to ensure there was no debris related to the small plane crash present.
In preparation for our students returning to campus, we will have counselors available for anyone needing additional support following the crash on Sunday. Before then, I encourage you to check in with your students regarding this incident. Here are some discussion tips courtesy of the National Association of School Psychologists:
- Make time to talk. Let your student’s questions be your guide as to how much information to provide.
- Reassure children that they are safe. Emphasize that schools are safe environments.
- Keep your explanations developmentally appropriate. Early elementary school students need brief, simple information that should be balanced with reassurances that their school and homes are safe and that adults are there to protect them. Upper elementary and early middle school children will be more vocal in asking questions about whether they truly are safe and what is being done at their school.
- Review safety procedures. This should include procedures and safeguards at school and at home.
- Observe your student’s emotional state. Some students may not express their concerns verbally.
- Limit television and online viewing of this incident. Developmentally inappropriate information can cause anxiety or confusion, particularly in young students.
- Maintain a normal routine. Keeping to a regular schedule can be reassuring and promote wellness.
Lastly, I want to extend my sincere gratitude to the responding agencies that so diligently assisted our Glenknoll community in this time of great need. This includes Orange County Sheriff’s Department, Orange County Fire Authority, and many more. Each and every day, they support our school and community as we work to maintain a safe and respectful environment for our students and staff.