Classroom Communication Procedures
There may be times when you need to communicate with your child at school during the school day. If an emergency arises, we will make sure we get a message to your child; however, classes cannot be interrupted for routine messages. Classroom teaching time is a valuable and limited resource. Classroom interruptions take away from the educational experience of all students. Teachers use all of their day, including recesses teaching, assisting students, planning, and assessing student work.
The following procedures will help limit classroom interruptions to emergencies only.
Forgotten lunches will be kept in the front office. The lunch must have the student’s name and teacher’s name or grade written on the lunch bag or taped to the lunch box. Students should be told to check for their forgotten lunch at the beginning of lunch time.
Suggestion: Keep enough money in your student’s lunch account so that your child will be comfortable in knowing that they can charge a lunch if you are unable to make or bring one due to an unforeseen conflict.
Students in band and strings are old enough to be responsible for their own instruments, and they will be more likely to remember them if they accept the consequences of missing music class the first time they forget their instrument. If you do bring a forgotten instrument for your child, the instrument will be kept in the office for students to pick up on their way to music class.
Homework due to absences
We cannot interrupt classes to request homework for a sick child. Teachers will give the necessary makeup work to your child after a one day absence. To request make-up work due to a longer illness:
- Leave a voice mail or email the teacher with the child’s name and the expected dates of absence
- Please allow 24 hours for the teacher to prepare the homework
- Pick up work in the front office the day after the request is made
- Your child will have two days to complete work for each day of absence
Changes in After-School Pickup/Daycare
Please make carpooling and pickup arrangements before school starts. Your child will feel more comfortable and relaxed knowing the arrangements before school begins.
We will only contact students with changes in an emergency.
Birthday celebrations should be conducted outside of school hours and birthday invitations may not be distributed at school; however, students who want to share a small snack with their class may do so.
- Contact the teacher at least two days in advance, by voice message or email. This is essential because of the number of students with food allergies who will need an alternative way to participate.
- Bring the snacks to the teacher before school
- Be sure to include a napkin for each child.
- Please do not bring any balloons or decorations